Scotty vs. Lauren: The worst American Idol finale ever?

Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarinin at American Idol's first finale. (FOX Photo)After Haley Reinhart was eliminated from American Idol Thursday night, this tweet went out from mjsbigblog.

Worst. Finale. Ever.

Three. Strong. Words.

But is it the worst?

Let’s take a look, comparing the Scotty McCreery vs. Lauren Alaina showdown to the nine that have preceded it.

Season 1 — Kelly Clarkson vs. Justin Guarini: As finalists go, Justin was just mediocre. But Kelly? Wow. Back then, Idol had even sillier theme nights than now. Like Big Band Night. Kelly unleashed a blistering version of “Stuff Like That There,” showing versatility neither of the Season 10 contestants can match. Conclusion: Big edge Season 1.

Season 2 — Ruben Studdard vs. Clay Aiken: Superb vocalists both, they tangled in what is still likely the closest top two. Scotty McCreery, an unlikely heartthrob like Clay, compares fairly well. Lauren Alaina? Not so well. Conclusion: Edge to Season 2.

Season 3 — Fantasia vs. Diana DeGarmo: Actually, Lauren reminds me a little of Diana. Expect Diana had spunk beyond her talent and improved over the course of the show. Lauren has the talent, lacks the confidence and hasn’t improved. Neither Season 10 finalist can touch Fantasia. Conclusion: Edge to Season 3.

Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood sing "Up Where We Belong" at the Season 4 Idol finale. (FOX Photo)Season 4 — Carrie Underwood vs. Bo Bice: We now know Carrie led in voting every single week in Season 4. But people tend to forget how impressive Bo Bice was that season. Impressive enough that I wasn’t sure Carrie would win. One of my favorite final twosomes. Conclusion: Big edge to Season 4.

Season 5 — Taylor Hicks vs. Katharine McPhee: They’re much maligned now, because neither has enjoyed a ton of post-Idol musical success. But Taylor was entertaining, week after week. Kat gave us Idol moments with “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “Black Horse and a Cherry Tree.” Conclusion: Edge to Season 5.

Season 6 — Jordin Sparks vs. Blake Lewis: Like Season 10, Season 6 lost its best vocalist (Melinda Doolittle) before the finals. Jordin, Idol’s youngest winner to date, improved as the season moved on. Blake? Who can forget the beat-boxing version of Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name?” If either of Season 10′s final two can pull off something that surprising, they’ve shown no hint of it yet. Conclusion: Edge to Season 6.

David Cook wins Season 7 of American Idol with David Archuleta (left) and Michael Johns (right) offering congratulations. (FOX Photo)Season 7 — David Cook vs. David Archuleta: David Cook was Idol’s master of tweaking songs to fit his style of music; David Archuleta is a better singer than either of this year’s teen sensations. Another of my favorite final twos. Conclusion: Big edge to Season 7.

Season 8 — Kris Allen vs. Adam Lambert: Kris was on the rise and coming off performances like “Heartless.” Adam was … well, maybe the best singer/showman the show has seen. Conclusion: Big edge to Season 8.

Season 9 — Lee DeWyze vs. Crystal Bowersox: Actually, Scotty McCreery has probably been more consistent than Lee and shows more confidence. But neither Scotty or Lauren come close to matching the passion of a singer-songwriter named Crystal, who should have won Season 9 by a landslide. Conclusion: Edge to Season 9.

Worst. Finale. Ever.

Three strong words.

And absolutely true.

Editor’s Note: If you want to check out performances from past seasons of American Idol, go here. Most of them are there except, unfortunately, many of those from Season 8.

Editor’s Note 2: This is one in a series of blogs looking back at Idol Season 10.  Others include my picks for the top 10 performances, the top 5 non-performance moments, and 7 tips for improving American Idol. Coming tomorrow: A look at how the final 2 match up, plus the better alternative for TV viewing Tuesday night.

tabs-top

26 Responses to “Scotty vs. Lauren: The worst American Idol finale ever?”

1. [...] my picks for the top 10 performances, my suggestions for 7 ways to improve Idol, and a look at how this year’s finale compares to Idol’s first nine. Coming tomorrow: A look at how the final 2 match up, plus the better alternative for TV viewing [...]

2. Garrett Clayman says:

I completely disagree. Season seven was the show’s worst by far. Filled with plants that were already signed, contestants that didn’t want to be on the show (Jason Castro), contestants their songs midway (Brooke White), and absolutely untalented performers (Kristy Cook, Chickeze, Raimelle, Amanda Overmyer). And besides season 9 the least successful post-idol season: David Cook’s single hasn’t appeared on any chart, Archie had a sophmore flop, and who the hell is Syesha. I agree past seasons have been better, but Season 7 was awful

• Sam says:

Talk about having a plant……S8 had Adam Lambert who was part of the LA scene and knew people before he even appeared on Idol. No one in S7 had current contracts. That was the rule not that you couldn’t have ever been signed.

Cook’s 1st album went platinum, with 2 platinum singles and a gold one. His current single has only been out 3 weeks and apparently you don’t know that no one is selling like they did even 2 years ago (unless your name is Brittany or Lady Gaga.

S7 had a wonderful mix of different personalities and musical abilities that made the season interesting. By the way that was the last year that they actually sang ALL of their groups songs live.

• trish says:

Wow your comment was the flop here. Season 7 was one of the highest rated season, highest rated finale & successful AI concert tour. And how would you think the judges or americans would actually let them BE ON THE SHOW if they are not talented? Even if you could do any better than them (which I doubt), you still have no right to label them as talentless. Season 7 was exciting cause they are filled with a lot of brilliant & competent singers. Oh and talk about originality, S7 got it.

Plus, David Cook’s singles OF course were on charts as well as Archie’s. Their albums debuted at no. 3 & 2. Their albums reached platinum & gold respectively. Archie’s 2nd album did flop but NOT his career.

Get your facts right MORON.

3. [...] for the top 5 non-performance moments, my suggestions for 7 ways to improve Idol, and a look at how this year’s finale compares to Idol’s first nine. Coming tomorrow: A look at how the final 2 match up, plus the better alternative for TV viewing [...]

4. [...] include my picks for the top 10 performances, the top 5 non-performance moments, and a look at how this year’s finale compares to Idol’s first nine. Coming tomorrow: A look at how the final 2 match up, plus the better alternative for TV viewing [...]

5. Margie says:

I TOTALLY AGREE! Soo boring, both of them!!

• Will says:

This hits it right on the head. They maxed out the boring meter. Scotty’s “Gone” was the only sign of life, and we have seen it before. All else was a snore.

Simon would have torn them a new one for bringing that lame crap up into the finale

6. Ashley says:

I haven’t watched this season at all so I can’t say whether this is the worst finale (though from what I hear it is), but what I do know is that the David vs David finale was the BEST finale ever. Both Davids were extremely talented, were great every week and were never in the bottom three or two. Plus, they have the same name, what could raise the anticipation more than that? ;)

7. sugardaisy says:

What are you smoking? This is the best finale ever! Thank God Haley got the boot! This has over-all been the season with the MOST talent and I predict many successful contestants from this year! I won’t go into who I am and what I do because you probably wouldn’t believe me anyway, but let’s just say you would know my name. And I know of what I speak.

8. [...] Editor’s Note: This is one in a series of blogs looking back at Idol Season 10. Others include my picks for the top 10 performances, the top 5 non-performance moments, 7 tips for improving American Idol and a look at how this year’s Idol finale compares to the first nine. [...]

9. [...] performances, the top 5 non-performance moments, 7 tips for improving American Idol and a look at how this year’s Idol finale compares to the first nine and, finally, a look at who should win the Idol [...]

10. lct says:

I do have to say season 7 finale was the best! Exciting to see two wonderfully, talented and good looking guys in the top two.

11. cassidy says:

Season 7 was the best as far as I’m concerned! I’m still a huge fan of David Archuleta’s!!

12. Tracy says:

Season 7 was by far the best season finale and both those artist are going strong. I strongly agree David Archuleta has better vocals then both these two left this season. They should of left Haley there, she would of at least gave Scotty a run for his money. Lauren has talent but not nearly enough to be in the finale….So I agree, the worst finale. Or boringest finale if that is a word.

13. Kait says:

Season 7 was my favorite ” by a country mile.”

14. Kerri says:

Season 7 was my favorite of all. That is the only season I ever voted and ever will vote. Both Davids were amazing! Both have been successful. Saw where someone posted Cook’s statitics. Archuleta actually has been successful too. His first album has almost gone platinum and his first single Crush has sold double platinum. His Christmas album sold pretty good also to have been selling for such a short time. Anyone both of these guys have been successful. Also, Archuleta wrote a book that was on the NY times best sellers list. So the boy hasn’t done too bad. I am proud of them both.

15. Kerri says:

sorry…statistics

16. Trish says:

The two left this season are ok. I’m not interested in watching it though. I tuned about about a month ago. I thought this year’s top 10 had so much potential but I liked them less and less as the weeks went by. I also agree with a lot of the posters saying that season 7 had the best top two.

17. waffles says:

No-brainer! Season 7 was by far the best season ever. I’ve watched since Kelly & Justin but S7 was the only time I voted. btw, David A has been very successful (cd, single and book sales) with little to no promo and an unwillingness for radio to play his music. That’s not an easy accomplishment!

Sadly, I find both Scotty and Lauren to be completely uninteresting to me which may make this an even worse finale than Lee and Cystal. I’m only watching it this year because Cook and Archie are going to be there.

And how awful is Idol that they didn’t ask Lee to be on the finale? He’s not a fave of mine but he deserves to be there (won’t be watching AI again).

18. Heidijoy says:

Season 7 was the best Finale ever. Still a David Archuleta fan. The whole season was great and full of talent.

19. Joe Black says:

I was a contestant on AI this year who made it to Hollywood. I am so upset about what I saw and what Idol really does. From the stadium floors on, this season DID have many phenomenal singers but they never made it on television. Nigel Lythgoe picks the contestants. It is who he likes that makes it. How many of the 360 contestants in Hollywood do you remember seeing on television? Nigel then shows his picks to America and convinces America that these people are America’s favorites. I could tell you so much about what really happens. If you could have just seen the people that he let go. Many, many phenomenal singers. Idol lies to America because they can. One 15 year old was Hanani Taylor. She made it to Hollywood Week group round. I saw her. Everyone who heard her thought she would win. I am following her because she is truly a star and Idol trashed her. I think she is still 15. Watch her sing “Rolling In The Deep” by Adele on Youtube. The link is:

20. [...] performances, the top 5 non-performance moments, 7 tips for improving American Idol and a look at how this year’s Idol finale compares to the first nine and, finally, a look at who should win the Idol [...]

21. Suzie says:

This season had the best talent I have ever seen but has ended most disappointingly. I mean no disrespect to the the finalist, but I am bored to death since Casey and James are gone. Ho hum. Very bad.

22. dckatia says:

Watching S10 finale and I’m bored to tears! Actually, turning it off right now. And, what is it with all the female singers thinking they have to gyrate all over the stage? SO, unappealing! Really!! What happened to true talent?

S7 was the BEST ever!!!

23. Rei says:

Yes I totally agree..well Scotty is the worst among the finalists 2nd to Lauren, among other contestants, these two are the least talented, they are both boring and limited voice range and not even flexible!!! I just don’t know and sure how did they get those votes.. maybe the whole family is sending enormous amounts of votes or whatever but i can say this season is a MAJOR FAIL! i don’t usually comment on these stuffs but this really disappointed me alot.. AI should change the way they get their votes and judging.. text votes can be easily manipulated by people who are able… I can say everybody is far more deserving to be the IDOL except these two especially SCOTTY!

The other seasons might not ended wit hthe best among the group like Adam Lambert but Kris Allen is not bad either, it’s just that Adam’s music is more appealing and Kris is more of a soothing sound.. its just not as bad as SCOTTY vs. James, Kacey, Haley and Pia!!! He always sound like just singing a Karaoke fail!

24. Hayley says:

S7 was THE BEST! Not lying. They were both too good, and what the heck? Their both davids! What could be more awesome than that?

Adam lambert was one of my favorites too BECAUSE that he had a high voice. But scotty was ok.. But Pia or Hayley should’ve won!