Each year as the finale approaches, I select the top 10 performances for the current season of American Idol.
Gotta say, this year it was tough to keep this from becoming a Jessica Sanchez-Joshua Ledet lovefest. Both were superb on a number of occasions.
And the battle for the top spot came down to the raw emotion Jessica showed in the performance that wound up at number one.
Because the vocal at number two is incredibly hard to beat.
At number three — one of the best female rock performances ever on American Idol.
And I don’t throw around such compliments nearly as freely as the Idol judges.
The list also includes two covers of Lady Gaga songs, one of which was the best twist any contestant put on a song this season.
I don’t think you’ll have much trouble guessing which performance that was.
Anyway, here goes. My picks for Season 11.
1. Jessica Sanchez: “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going”
2. Joshua Ledet: “It’s a Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World”
3. Elise Testone: “Whole Lotta Love”
4. Joshua Ledet: “When a Man Loves a Woman”
5. Jessica Sanchez: “Sweet Dreams”
6. Hollie Cavanagh: “Bleeding Love”
7. Jessica Sanchez: “Fallin’”
8. Phillip Phillips: “Still Rainin’”
9. Elise Testone: “You and I”
10. Skylar Laine: “Born This Way”
OK, this blog was written before the final performance show, before Phillip Phillips performed that splendid new single, “Home.” A list of the season’s best performances would be silly without it, so I’m adding it now.