Every year, September 19 is “Talk Like a Pirate Day,” and although the holiday is now past, we celebrate the idea here at Junior Dispatch by offering these pirate-themed activities all year long. And, just to keep in the spirit of things, the rest of this section will be in “Pirate Speak.”
Arrr! We gots a lot ‘o thin’s fer ye to do on dis grand holiday! Jus’ let us take da wheel and enjoy yerselfs!
ON THE WORL’ WIDE WEB
Visit these “sea”-sites fer lots ‘o swashbucklin’ fun.
- A Landlubber’s guide to hostin’ a pirate party
- If yer ta be a pirate today, ya need ta know the lingo. Learn here!
- Visit the official Talk Like A Pirate Day website.
- Write something normal and turn it into pirate speak.
- Learn more about pirates at Pop Quiz, Hotshot!
- Let’s not fergit about those luvable lubbers the Pittsburgh Pirates!
- O’ course, we can’t git enough of Captain Jack Sparrow and his mates.
- National Geographic has done its research on pirates, and they agree we’re a sordid lot!
- Check out these amazin’ pirate figurines, all hand-painted by the world’s most artistic swabbies.
(When yer done coloring ‘em. Have mom and pop scan ‘em inta the computer and e-mail them to us for some amazing loot of yer own.)
Ye might be intrigued by piratin’ e’en more, so have a blast watchin’ these videos.
- A great pirate song by Lazy Town.
- Learn to Talk Like A Pirate from the masters.
- Watch Mad Jack the pirate get some mail.
- Captain Hook and his singing pirates.
- The Muppets Treasure Island.
‘o course, whar would piratin’ be without th’ grand traditions ‘o Robert Louis Stephenson’s “Treasure Island”? Ye can read that fab’lous story here ‘n listen to tha same thin’ here.
‘N if that barnacle-covered seadog’s story just isn’t that be all I can take fer ye, give a go’ at these other scurvy pirate stories!