Big prizes in JD’s creative writing contest
The Junior Dispatch, in conjunction with the York Libraries’ summer reading program and the York Emporium, is proud to announce a creative writing contest, as detailed in the flier above.
This contest is asking for original stories by kids up to age 18. The topic is an important one: We want you to write a story about aliens from outer space.
The details are all in the flyer above, but we want you to pay close attention to these points:
- There are three age categories. (7 and under. 8 to 12. 13 to 18)
- The word limit is 1,500 words. That just means that the longest your story can be is 1,500 words. Entries in the “7 and under” category certainly don’t need to be that long. A 50 word story, for example, is fine.
- Aside from the top prizes, every entrant gets a free book from the York Emporium
- We accept typed and printed out entries only. We will retype them here at JD HQ and then post them on the website as we get them. See the update below!
- The deadline for your story is Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2012. You’ve got plenty of time, but don’t wait until the last minute either!
- Make sure your name, age and phone number is on EVERY page of the entry.
- Only one entry per person.
- RULES UPDATE (6/8/2012): Junior Dispatch has altered the “typed submissions”-only rule in the short story contest. The contest will now accept e-mailed submissions. E-mailed entrants must include their name, complete address, phone number and age in the body of the e-mail. The subject of the e-mail should be “Alien Story Contest.” Send the submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entrants may submit stories through the mail as well. Send those entries (which should include your name, age, address and phone number) to Junior Dispatch, c/o The York Dispatch, 205 N. George St., York, Pa. 17401.
Now get writing! Tell us a story about some aliens!
If you have any questions about the rules, email John Simcoe at email@example.com