York Dispatch editors to present summer programs
York Dispatch editors John Simcoe and Randy Flaum are visiting several York County libraries this summer to share writing, drawing and photography skills with youth participating in the Dream Big Read! GO and Search the Galaxy program.Flaum, the newspaper’s visual editor, will be teaching teens and tweens how to use their cell phone to take pictures during Your Cell Phone Photo Workshop.
According to Flaum, “The best camera to use is the one you always have with you. And that is your cell phone.”
He will conduct both one- and three-day workshops during which he will cover photography tips such as shooting indoors and out, the best ways to capture pictures of your friends, camera angles, and lighting. Most of the workshops are geared to ages 10 and older, although some of the programs are for ages 13 and older.
Simcoe is instructing two workshops, Write What You Like and Your First Comic, for youth ages 10 and older. He serves as a news editor and the editor of juniordispatch.com.
He will talk about how he’s been published (and paid!) for his writing, and share how to target writing based on the things you love — from informational articles to event reports to poems and fiction.
During the comics workshop, attendees will learn to create and assemble a comic book or comic strip. The session consists of a mix of writing, craft-making and drawing.
“Art skills aren’t necessary, but they will help!” said Simcoe. “Once you’re done, you can submit your comic to JuniorDispatch.com for online publication.”
If you go: All of the workshops are free. Call to register for the location of your choice. Most of the programs are geared to ages 10 and older, but there are some age variances. For hours and directions, go to www.yorklibraries.org.
Cell phone photos, one-day workshops:
– 12:30-2 p.m. Saturday, June 23, at Kaltreider-Benfer Library, Red Lion; ages 10+; 244-2032.
– 10:30 a.m.– noon Saturday, June 30, at Mason-Dixon Public Library, Stewartstown; ages 10+; 993-2404.
– 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, July 7, at Guthrie Memorial Library, Hanover; for teens; 632-5183.
– 2-3:30 p.m. Saturday, July 14, at Martin Library, York; ages 13-18; 846-5300.
Cell phone photos, three-day workshops:
– 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays, June 28, July 19 and Aug. 2, at Red Land Community Library, Etters; ages 13-adult; 938-5599.
– 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, July 11, 18 and 25, at Dover Area Community Library, Dover; preteens-teens; 292-6814.
– 1:30 p.m. Thursday, June 28, at Paul Smith Library, Shrewsbury; ages 10+; 235-5806.
– 1:30 p.m. Thursday, July 12, at Dover Area Community Library, Dover; grades 5-8; 292-6814.
– 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 17, at Kaltreider-Benfer Library, Red Lion; ages 10+; 244-2032.
– 1:30 p.m. Monday, July 30, at Collinsville Community Library, Brogue; ages 10+; 927-9014.
– 1 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 7, at Glatfelter Memorial Library, Spring Grove; ages 10+; 225-3220.
– 6 p.m.Wednesday, Aug. 1, at Glatfelter Memorial Library, Spring Grove; ages 13+; 225-3220.
– 1:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 6, at Dover Area Community Library, Dover; teens; 292-6814.