Southern York County School District students recently performed in the Organization of American Kodály Educators (OAKE) National Choir in Hartford, Conn. The students, who were selected by audition, rehearsed with others from 32 state.Read More
The Southern York County School District received the 2013 Outstanding School Library District Award May 3 from the Pennsylvania School Librarians Association.Read More
Southern York County School District students will present songs and sounds of spring during their annual spring concerts. All concerts are free for students and open to the public.
– Southern Elementary, 7 p.m. Monday, April 22. The program is presented by students in second grade and includes the fifth and sixth grade combined chorus.
– Shrewsbury Elementary, 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 24. First graders will present the musical, The Artful Dodgers, and second graders will present the musical, Go Fish. In addition, the fifth grade chorus will perform several songs.
– Friendship Elementary, 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 7. The concert will feature second grade students along with the Friendship Elementary Chorus, who will sing a collection of songs.
– Elementary Grade Six Band and Orchestra Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 2, at Southern Middle School.
– Susquehannock High School band concert, 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 1.
– Southern Middle School and Susquehannock High School choirs will join forces for a concert in honor of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 9, at Susquehannock High School. The program will feature concert choirs from both schools, Chanticleer, Inspiration, as well as the Women’s and Men’s Choirs.
– Susquehannock High School percussion recital with solos, duets and other ensembles, noon Saturday, May 11. Students and alumni will perform on various percussion instruments, such as drum sets, marimbas, and snare drums. Admission is free for students and $5 for all others.
– Susquehannock High School orchestra concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 16.
– Southern Middle School orchestra concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 21, and band concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 30.Read More
The fifth annual Battle of the Buildings raised more than $4,500 for student scholarships. Teams from each of the six buildings competed in various races in Susquehannock High School’s gym.
For the second consecutive year, Southern Middle School’s team, Warrior Pride, finished with the most points, and captured this year’s Battle of the Buildings trophy. Susquehannock High School’s Warrior Nation team placed second, with Friendship Elementary’s team finishing in third place. Friendship’s Fearless Friendship team also earned the Spirit Award for the event.Read More
The Southern York County School District’s Band Boosters will present the 13th Annual Jazz Fest Saturday, April 13, at Shrewsbury Elementary School.
Swing into Jazz will feature the Susquehannock High School and Southern Middle School jazz bands. Entertainment will also be provided by five additional jazz bands from Shippensburg University, Dulaney High School, Kennard-Dale High School and Time Out.
Members of the Susquehannock High School band program will serve as the wait staff in the fest’s coffeehouse atmosphere. A selection of specialty coffees, teas, and desserts will be available.
Doors open at 6:15 p.m. and performances start at 7 p.m. Ticket prices are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, and $6 for students. To reserve tickets or a table for the evening, contact Wendy Speir at (717) 235-6452 or SHSJAZZFEST@yahoo.com. For more information, visit www.sycsd.org.Read More
Tryouts were held in November and students have been rehearsing daily ever since. The public is invited to this high energy show featuring students in grades 3 to 5.
Both performances will be held in the Northern High School auditorium. The first show will begin at 4:15 p.m. Thursday, April 11. Admission will be free. The evening performance will begin at 7 p.m. Friday, April 12. Admission will be $4.Read More
Registration of all children in the South Eastern School District who will be eligible to attend kindergarten for the 2013-2014 school year is being accepted at all three elementary schools.
Prospective kindergarteners must be the age of 5 on or before Aug. 21.
For the formal registration process in April, the following items will be needed: an original birth certificate, proof of residency, and immunization records. Children must be immunized against tetanus, diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), hepatitus B, and varicella (chickenpox). Please note that these shots can take months to complete.
Any family that has not been contacted or is new to the district should call the school assigned to their address. The formal registration dates, available by appointment only, are:
– Fawn Area Elementary, April 4 and 5. Appointments: 382-4220.
– Delta Peach Bottom Elementary, April 16 and 17. Appointments: 456-5313.
– Stewartstown Elementary, April 25 and 26. Appointments: 993-2725.Read More