In an effort to encourage York City School District students to get up-to-date with their immunizations before the start of school, Rita’s Italian Ice, 901 S. Queen St., has donated 500 free Italian ice coupons to the York City Bureau of Health, 435 W. Philadelphia St. The coupons will be given to all pre-school and school-aged children and their families (who reside in York City) when they come to the clinic to receive required immunizations.
New school immunization requirements became effective Aug. 1. School nurses will be reviewing student health records to be sure that all students have all vaccinations required by the Pennsylvania Department of Health. The new school regulations, for grades K-12, include:
– 4 doses of tetanus vaccine, (one dose on or after the 4th birthday)
– 4 doses of diphtheria vaccine (one dose on or after the 4th birthday)
– 3 doses of polio vaccine
– 2 doses of measles vaccine
– 2 doses of mumps vaccine
– 1 dose of rubella (German measles)
– 3 doses of Hepatitis B vaccine
– 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) vaccine or evidence of immunity
Children entering the seventh grade are also required to have the following immunizations:
– 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine
– 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) if five years have elapsed since their last tetanus immunization.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (717) 815-0910.Read More